|Read more Slice of Life stories at|
Two Writing Teachers
I know I can't wave a magic wand (I used to have one!) and make my developing readers have amazing stamina, instant book love and grade-level text understanding. I do think I can help my readers improve, day by day, by keeping our routines in place:
- Checking in with each other (What's new? How are you feeling? I like your new shoes/shirt/haircut.)
- Previewing vocabulary, text and photos (What do you notice? What questions do you have?)
- Reading (Read that part to me. Read these sections to yourself.)
- Thinking & Discussion (What are you thinking? What evidence can you find?)
- Writing (Summarize your learning. What was the theme?)
- Wrap up (Choose a stopping point. Plan for tomorrow.)
We try to follow our routine every day, even if some steps are short. I work to ask deeper questions during our discussions, but I try to push my students to lead the talks. Some days are better than others.
I hope spring will be here soon. I know I'm not alone. This winter has been a roller coaster!