|Read more Slice of Life stories at|
Two Writing Teachers
Today I did a little inventory on my One Little Words that I have chosen over the years:
finish - listen - thrive - hope - spark - peace.
When I first started picking an OLW in 2011, I picked words that would encourage me to improve. (I have a hard time finishing projects; I tend to talk more than listen). Then I went through a job change and watched my daughters graduate high school and make life decisions (thrive was really survive; hope was for a new job). Spark represented all the new ideas I brought to my new school, and peace was my big goal for myself and the world.
Today I see myself as someone who juggles flaws and fabulous ideas. Someone who can spark a smile in someone who isn't feeling great. Someone who is trying to figure out how to parent young adults (so different!) while getting back to hobbies and habits I had before my husband and I became parents.
After many visits to an online thesaurus, I have decided my word of 2019 is ....
(v) to plant, to educate, to encourage
My goals for 2019 include:
- read lots of books to cultivate my knowledge of current kid lit
- help my students find books they can & will read and cultivate their love of reading
- encourage my colleagues to refine their craft by cultivating positive relationships and learning alongside them
- cultivate new hobbies (lettering, bullet journaling) and revisit former hobbies (playing violin, knitting)
- Figure out how to cultivate an interest in exercising and continue to eat well
Sounds easy enough, right? Happy New Year!